1) Plant Common name – mums
2) Plant Botanical name – Chrysanthemums
3) What makes this plant amazing? Grow for their long-lasting, beautiful blooms and hardy nature in the cooler months of the fall. Comes in a multitude of colors. The mum can have up to 21 colors.
4) How much light does it need? Generally the chrysanthemum likes full sunlight, but can totally tolerate partial sunlight as well.
5) Does it like water all the time or does it like to be dry? Chrysanthemums love full sun, and all that heat means they also need plenty of water. Give them a good soak after repotting, then water every other day or whenever the soil seems dry.
6) How large does it grow? Depending on the variety and growing conditions, they can grow anywhere from 1′ to 3′ tall.
7) Does it need to be trimmed? If so how often? If you are actually growing mums, it is common to pinch off the buds as they grow. Pinching off the buds perpetuates additional flowering. If you simply buy a beautiful fall mum at Siebenthaler’s, they are completely self-sufficient and won’t need any trimming.
8) Does it have something that makes it unique? Just the sheer number of varieties, shapes, sizes and colors make them unique.
9) Do you need to fertilize? With what and how often? Mums are pretty tough and can thrive on their own, but they benefit from light and frequent feedings with a balanced fertilizer during the growing season. Fertilize when the plants are ready for blooming and discontinue fertilizing after flower buds are formed.