Founded in 1870, The Siebenthaler Company has been beautifying homes and industries in the Miami Valley for six generations. The Siebenthaler Company was founded by John Siebenthaler with the help of his father Georg along what is now Siebenthaler Avenue in Dayton. In the early years, the company specialized in growing fruit trees and grape vines which sold for as little as three cents.
By 1920, ornamental trees and shrubs had largely replaced the fruit trees. In 1929, a Dayton Newspaper reported: “There is no need for any person to visit the Washington Botanical Gardens, for right here in Dayton, at the Siebenthaler Nursery, the study of indigenous ornamental shrubbery is complete.” The company grew throughout the depression, and as the need for professional landscaping developed, so did Siebenthaler’s landscape division. One of the first slogans was “Let’s make Dayton the city beautiful.” This vision remained true as The Siebenthaler Company landscaped for NCR, Sears, the Dayton Art Institute and the Dayton Public Library. the Ketterings and the Wright Brothers also had homes landscaped by the company.
Not satisfied with planting native or even imported trees, The Siebenthaler Company developed some of its own, notably the Moraine Locust, Moraine Ash, and the Wright Brothers Maple. Developed by cross pollination, the Moraine Locust was the first shade tree ever to be patented.
The company has continued to have a major impact on the Dayton community to present day, serving the community through two year round garden centers and a landscape and maintenance division. Two outstanding characteristics have remained true throughout the company’s history - high quality plant material and unmatched customer service. We continue to uphold our founding levels of quality with our Landscape Design Team.
|Siebenthaler's landscaping WPAFB above, and The Dayton Art Institute below|